4 Ways a Pastor Can Love His Wife Well
Mon Mar 10, 2014
by Dave Bruskas
We’re Praying for Epiphany Fellowship
Sun Mar 09, 2014
by Mark Driscoll
Our Top 5 Posts of February
Sat Mar 08, 2014
Resurgence Roundup, 3/7/14
Fri Mar 07, 2014
How to Replant a Church, Part 5: Rally Your Troops
Thu Mar 06, 2014
by Bubba Jennings
Say the Name
“Amen”? That’s it? You’re going to close your prayer with an abrupt “Amen”? What about the Savior?
Aren’t you going to say the name? And you preachers, lower the “God talk” and say the name! Everyone says the G-O-D—there is nothing in that to denote your loyalty or demarcate your distinctiveness. You are not a God follower, a religious zealot, or a pious person. You are not a vague pursuer of mystic uncertainties, or a spiritual surveyor of saintly generality. You are a Christ follower. Say the name!
- It’s by calling upon the name that we are saved (Acts 2:21).
- It’s in the name that we find forgiveness (Acts 2:38).
- It’s in the name, better than silver or gold, that we are healed (Acts 3:6).
- It’s the name that we suffer for and the name that we stand for (Acts 4:7, 10).
- It’s the only name under heaven by which we must be saved (Acts 4:12).
- It’s the name they were forbidden to speak of and that still offends today (Acts 4:30; 5:28, 40).
- It’s the name that they were beaten for and rejoiced to be considered worthy (Acts 5:41).
- It‘s the name we gather in if we want to experience his presence (Matthew 18:20).
- It’s the name we pray in for assurance of the Father hearing and answering (John 14:13).
- It’s the name that every knee will someday bow before (Philippians 2:10).
The name is Jesus! Say it, savor it, sing in, share it. Say the name! Every chance you get. Never let it become routine. If it seems you say “in Jesus’ name” a lot, consider how you will see it when each prayer of your life represents 100 of your first years in eternity. How will we look back and see the name when eternity reveals just how lost we were without it? Get the flag to the top of the pole every chance you get and always say the name above every name, the precious name of Jesus. It’s the sweetest name we know. It’s the greatest name in the history of civilization. Say it! Jesus. In Jesus’ name. AMEN!
This post originally appeared on Pastor James MacDonald’s site, Vertical Church. Pastor James will be speaking at our upcoming Resurgence 2012 Conference. Super early registration ends in three days so be sure to sign up now to get the best price.