Introducing: “Know the Bible” series
Mon Jun 17, 2013
What is Scripture?
Mon Jun 17, 2013
by Justin Holcomb
21 simple ways to be an exceptional dad
Sun Jun 16, 2013
by Josh Mcpherson
1. Deliver the mail 2. Read the mail
Sat Jun 15, 2013
by Cam Huxford IV
A pair of posts from Eds, plus a bit of quality reality TV (seriously!): Resurgence roundup, 6/14/13
Fri Jun 14, 2013
7 Things I'm Doing to Simplify My Life
In my last post I talked about the need for simplicity and focus. Here are 7 things I'm doing about it.
7 Things I’m Doing to Simplify My Life and Ministry:
- Turning down opportunities that might be a good use of who I am but not the best use of who I am. Just last week I said no to two people who offered me a great chance to do something.
- Never saying yes to anything over the phone, but buying time to think and pray about it.
- Practicing the theology of enough. I have no list of things that fall into the category of: I would be happy if______.
- Asking God to deliver me from an unhealthy appetite for acclaim, approval, position, power, and honor that would push me to do more and more for the wrong reasons.
- Praying to be released from the restless, gnawing greed for more money and more stuff.
- Daily reminding myself of who I am and who I am not—being content to be me.
- Carving out sufficient time alone with God for humble contemplation—to give him opportunity to quiet my anxious heart and keep me focused on my “few themes.”
It’s not easy living “simply” in a culture that demands more, rewards competition, and admires power and position. But, by God’s grace, I’m going to live in biblical simplicity. How are YOU doing? Do you need to do some spring-cleaning in your life and ministry? How about a retreat to think through some things and be reminded of who you are in Christ and the “few themes” he wants you to be about?