9 types of leaders in Scripture
Mon May 20, 2013
by Justin Holcomb
5 bits of wisdom for the professional Christian woman
Sun May 19, 2013
by Shandel Slaten
Sat May 18, 2013
by Hugh Whelchel
Resurgence roundup, 5/17/13
Fri May 17, 2013
Grace all the way
Wed May 15, 2013
by Justin Holcomb
Walk in the Light: The Dayspring
Walk in the Light: Click | View Series Isaiah 2:5—"O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the Lord." Oh that the literal "house of Jacob" would walk in the light of Jehovah by acknowledging Jesus, who is the Dayspring from on high! Alas, they refuse the light, for the veil is upon their hearts! Let us pray for the assembling of the tribes of Israel. Surely "it shall come to pass in the latter days." (Verse 2)
Accept This Invitation.
"Let us walk in the light of the Lord."
- No other light is comparable to it; especially for the Lord's own people. Jehovah should be the light of Jacob.
- No other walking is so safe, so cheerful.
- No other people are so able to walk in the light of God: their eyes are opened, their feet are strengthened, their hearts are purified, their actions suit the day.
1. In this light we find certainty for the mind.
- Reason makes guesses, or confesses that she knows nothing.
- Fanaticism dotes on dreams and superstitions.
- Human authority blunders.
- Revelation alone is sure, infallible, unalterable. All other light is darkness when compared with it.
2. In this light we find rest for the conscience.
- We see Jesus, his blood, and the perfect pardon which it procures.
- We see his perfect righteousness covering us, and making us comely before God.
3. In this light we find direction for the judgment.
- We see sin, love, providence, the future, etc., in their true colors, and know how to act in reference to them.
- We learn to know the right way, and the wise course.
- We discover the hidden snares, and are led to avoid them.
4. In this light we find delight for the soul.
- In the purposes of the Lord. "Predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son."
- In our personal condition in Christ. "Complete in him."
- In the dealings of our Father's hand. "For those who love God all things work together for good," etc.
- In the struggling which goes on within, which as a symptom of grace yields us comfortable hope.
- In the future of death and eternity, which else would distress us.
5. In this light we find communion for the heart.
- We see God, and feel perfect peace.
- We see grace within, and enjoy full assurance.
- We see Jesus, and are in conscious union with him.
- We feel the Spirit of God, and are workers with him.
- We see the saints, and delight in their graces.
Beloved hearers, may the Holy Spirit lead you:
- To enter into the light of God.
- To remain in it, walking therein quietly from day to day.
- To make progress in it, walking onward toward perfection.
Come, and let us even now walk together in this light. It shines perpetually, and we are the children of light. Living in it here will prepare us for enjoying it in all its glorious brightness, where "the Lamb is the light." Adapted from Charles Spurgeon's sermon notes, which are in the public domain.