We are a Kanye
Wed Jun 19, 2013
by Odd Thomas
Does the bible contain errors?
Tue Jun 18, 2013
by Megan Almon
Introducing: “Know the Bible” series
Mon Jun 17, 2013
What is Scripture?
Mon Jun 17, 2013
by Justin Holcomb
21 simple ways to be an exceptional dad
Sun Jun 16, 2013
by Josh Mcpherson
Eastern Healing, Alternative Medicine, and Christian Faith, Part 10
The Danger of Undiscerning Acceptance
I have been in practice in alternative medicine for many years and have witnessed many disturbing experiences. However, one example that always comes to mind is about a young woman who called me in distress because she had heard that I could give her guidance regarding an awful experience she encountered. This poor woman was plagued with fear. She said that she was given the name of a supposed Christian healer who had worked with many of her Christian friends and healed them. The practitioner used therapeutic touch and some Eastern meditation practices. She lay on a massage table in silent room lit by candles and fragrant with incense. He passed over her numerous times, never laying a hand on her but manipulating her body energy. The session lasted for one hour. As she remained in this room her spirit became agitated. She noticed a decor of New Age icons. She was not sure about this practitioner but felt that since he was a Christian, he must be safe. After the therapy was over she traveled home; then serious body tremors and aching of muscles began.
A Call for Help
She became highly anxious to the point that her mood became very dark. A deep depression settled over her, which she had never encountered before. Through the night her body remained in tremors, and she felt very cold. She called me the next morning and desperately needed help. The first thing we did on the phone was pray, and I asked God's directed intervention to overcome any adversarial force that had been imparted upon this woman. Her spirit began to calm, and her anxiety lightened. As she calmed in tears, she asked me some very serious questions:
- What did I do?
- Did I allow an evil thing to take hold of me?
- Was this recommendation of this Christian friend wrong?
- What did this man do to me?
- Was he a Christian?
- What was he practicing on me?
- What kind of an evil was he practicing?
- Have I done serious harm to my mind and spirit now?
- What should I do now?
All of these questions just rolled off of her tongue. She was seriously frightened and buffeted with the guilt of making a wrong decision. I felt her anguish and pain. After talking with her for an hour, I gave her direction about things she should do in the future. Most of it you are reading in this article. Everything turned out well for this woman, but she learned a serious spiritual lesson she will never forget.
Here are further questions for evaluation:
- Did God give you consent through the direction of the Holy Spirit?
- Do you believe that God can actively heal every aspect of your life?
- Are you forcing your way in disbelief?
- Are you making a decision in desperation and doubt?
- Are you accepting a teaching or practice on the recommendation of another person, either Christian or not?
- Are you allowing a teacher or healing practitioner access to you without any consideration how it may compromise your faith in Jesus Christ? All things must be evaluated from the reference point of obedience to Jesus Christ. If there is any compromise whatsoever, leave the teaching and/or practice immediately!
Always evaluate from the following standpoint: Is this practice or teaching compromising my faith and obedience to Christ? Will this teaching or practice cause serious harm to me spiritually, emotionally, or physically? Does it take away from my total reliance and trust in God? God will make it clear to you through the guidance of the Holy Spirit as he guides us in all truth. Ask, seek, and knock, and God will open up the way of clarity. To be continued.